To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Sudden loss in download speed

doghare

Hello,

I have been using BitComet for several months now usually with download speed from 100 kb/s to upwards of 800 kb/s depending on what I am downloading. I am curretly using v 1.23 with all default settings with the exception of limiting my upload to 20 kb/s and unlimited download, and all of a sudden I am lucky if I get 100 kb/s. I have a d-link DI-524 router. I ran a speed test and got 9.56 mbps down, and 0.40 up. I have looked through the fourms and haven't really found what I am looking for. I have Rogers High Spped DSL service if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated for this non tech newbie.

Edited by doghare (see edit history)

The usual reason for this is that your listen port is now being blocked by a firewall.

Typically this can happen during a reconfiguration or reinstall. A likely candidate is the router's built-in firewall. It is necessary to forward a port through the router's firewall to one particular IP address, and your computer must be configured to use that IP address.

Anything that disrupts any of this results in a blocked listen port.

Installation of software which contains a software firewall can also cause this, as can reconfiguration of existing software firewalls.