To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

ports forwarded but speed 100Kb+ to 10Kb-

bungy81

Please Please Please help :(

I am a novice but have learnt what i have done through forums on the web

I have recently bought a DG834GT router. and my speed went to 3-15Kb and my router kept locking up and i had to reset so i realised i had to forward my listening ports which i did, I then disabled upnp on the application and raised the amount of TCP connections i could recive through windows through the patch and on the application to 300, I then disabled my log on my router as i knew this was a problem and then limited my up load speed to 20Kbs. I then contacted my ISP and they stated that they had not throttled my bandwith or put traffic shaping on my connection i encrypted always just in case, I have up to 8mb broadband download with Pipex Uk. I then tested my port forwarding at www.btfaq.com/natcheck.pl and this came back to a message stating that my port forwarding was successful but connection to the bittorrent client was not. I thought everything was ok and i was gaining speeds of up to 100Kb+ on 2 tasks then it returned back after 2 hours or so to being slow at most at 10Kbs but my upload speed was at the full amount set? It was not the torrent as i could see i had up to 40 seeds connected I then reset my computer and tryed to connect again and the speed was still 10Kbs i then changed my Router to my old modem and no change i dont think its the router but i dont really know please please help i have run out of ideas and have spent hours trying to correct this. :blink:

kind Regards :D

Edit: i have disabled windows firewall

Edit: running version 0.70

Edited by bitdave (see edit history)

How do you know its not the torrent. Just the fact that you connected to 40 seeds means nothing. How many leechers are there(the total number)?

You know you are portforwarded properly if you look in the Peers tab and see any "Remote" initiations

If your ISP does not throttle then change the encryption to autodetect so you will still be able to connect to clients who arent using encryption.

Also if you're router is locking up then make sure you're running the latest firmware on that router and you might want to disable the DHT Network.

If you think you have everything set up properly and are getting Remote peers then you can try the openoffice torrent to test the fastest speed you could possibly get. (generally you will never see speeds as fast as this torrent)

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/

Will disabling the DHT network effect my connection? i am definateley running the most up to date firmware but when checking with www.btfaq.com/natcheck.pl and this came back to a message stating that my port forwarding was successful but connection to the bittorrent client was not why do you think this as as i checked with normal port forwarding sites such as canyouseeme.org and it showed my port is open but i feel something is conflicting with the bitcomet client as i made sure the infohash was correct it seems strange that my speed is good then bad all of a sudden i will check this this with the information you gave me this evening

this help is appreciated

kind regards

I will add to what bitdave said.

Most slow speeds are from users that run multiple torrents. Since you stated your upload speed is set to 20kB/s, that is very low, and the lower your upload, the less download you will get. I assume your isp gives you only 25kB/s max download, if they give you more then this, you should raise your upload speed. However if you run at full (unlimited) upload, your client will bog down and your download speed will suffer.

Now, back to 20kB/s. Althoug its a bit low, it is still acceptable if you are running one torrent. If you were to run several, then anyone that connects to you will suffer. They will be requesting data, and not get crap from you.

There are a great number of bit torrent users that get slow speeds, and instead of learning how to fix it, they just fill up their client with more tasks. They are then happy because they are downloading a dozen movies, and a few days later they finish, but they are Harming everyone.

If it was up to me, I would make the clients not allow running more then one unless you have enough upload speed to warrant it.

I think what you have here is seeders that are seeding very low bandwidth.

Suspect

ps you will know when you run that open office torrent. I got over 700kB/s with it. I recently got 865kB/s on the new Ubuntu Linux torrent.

The usual suspect

I run the open office torrent and got 125Kb on a 8mb download connection which i was happy with? but all of a sudden my connection drops again maybe up to 8 hours later i was seeding the file and this was fine i run the open office torrent again when my download collapsed i could only download 30Kb max so there must be a problem please help me or something i can fix?

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

This sounds like your provider is throttling bit torrent traffic.

Normally this can be prevented somewhat by enabling protocall encryption, but some ISPs are using a new detection software designed to defeat protocall encryption.

I'm sure this will be defeated in time.

Suspect

This sounds like your provider is throttling bit torrent traffic.

Normally this can be prevented somewhat by enabling protocall encryption, but some ISPs are using a new detection software designed to defeat protocall encryption.

I'm sure this will be defeated in time.

Suspect

its Pipex Uk do you know if thats the case?